AMI and Distribution Automation Integration
NEW YORK, Sept. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --
Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
AMI and Distribution Automation Integrationhttp://www.reportlinker.com/p01609791/AMI-and-Distribution-Automation-Integration.html#utm_source=prnewswire&utm_medium=pr&utm_campaign=Electrical_Equipment
Leveraging Neighborhood Area Networks for Outage Management, Restoration Verification, Power Quality Alarming, Load Monitoring, Asset Monitoring, CVR, IVVC, and FLISR
Utilities exploring smart grid opportunities are increasingly shifting their focus from the deployment of advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) technology to distribution automation (DA) applications intended to reduce capital and operating costs, as well as improve the efficiency and quality of the power grid. While government mandates and funding have led to a number of smart meter (AMI) initiatives over the last decade, the integration of DA systems and applications with previously deployed or planned AMI systems is expected to help utilities strengthen their AMI business cases and wring further financial benefits out of past investments.
But the integration of AMI and DA systems is not a slam dunk for utilities. Potential obstacles can be found in the robustness of the AMI system's underlying communications network, in organizational silos where different departments may lack experience with systems and protocol interoperability, and in the management and analysis of the expected vast volumes of data. Regulatory support may also be difficult to obtain. Navigant Research forecasts that more than 15% of the global installed base of smart meters will be incorporated in functional AMI/DA systems by 2020, up from 2% in 2012.
This Navigant Research report examines the opportunities and challenges faced by utilities seeking to integrate AMI and DA systems in the smart grid. The study provides an overview of the current state of the global AMI and DA markets, as well as a review of the communications networking technologies employed in each. Various DA applications appropriate for integration with AMI systems and their communications networks are also analyzed. Global market forecasts of components of AMI/DA integration, including smart meters for DA applications and integrated routers, extend through 2020. The report also provides a general outlook of AMI/DA integration and profiles of key market participants.
Key Questions Addressed:
How can installed AMI systems be leveraged for DA applications?- Which communications technologies are best suited for integrated AMI/DA?- What challenges do utilities face as they integrate AMI and DA systems?- What benefits will utilities gain as they integrate AMI and DA systems?- What DA applications are best suited for existing AMI networks?- How is smart grid technology evolving to accommodate fully integrated systems?- What percentage of installed smart meters will be leveraged for DA applications between 2012 and 2020?
Who needs this report?
Smart meter manufacturers- Distribution system equipment manufacturers- Communications system vendors- Communications service providers- Systems integrators- Utilities- Government agencies- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary1.1 Introduction1.2 Market Forecast
2. Market and Technology Issues2.1 Introduction2.2 AMI Overview2.3 DA Overview2.3.1 Legacy Distribution Automation2.3.2 Advanced Distribution Automation and Monitoring2.3.3 Distribution Feeder Devices and Technologies2.3.4 Medium-Voltage versus Low-Voltage DA Applications2.3.5 Medium-Voltage DA Applications184.108.40.206 Basic Monitoring and Remote Control220.127.116.11 Basic Feeder Automation18.104.22.168 Advanced FLISR22.214.171.124 Distribution Network Optimization2.3.6 Limitations of MV-Centric DA Solutions2.3.7 Low-Voltage DA Applications2.4 Communications Networks Overview2.4.1 Wireless Communications126.96.36.199 Private Wireless188.8.131.52.1. Proprietary Radio Frequency (RF) Mesh184.108.40.206.2. Proprietary Point-to-Multipoint Communications220.127.116.11.3. Private WiMAX18.104.22.168.4. Private LTE22.214.171.124 Public Wireless126.96.36.199.1. 2G/3G/4G Cellular188.8.131.52.2. Wi-Fi2.4.2 Wired Networks184.108.40.206 PLC220.127.116.11.1. Low-Speed Power Line Communications18.104.22.168.2. Narrowband Power Line Communications22.214.171.124 Fiber2.5 Integrating AMI and DA Systems2.5.1 Organizational Factors2.5.2 Data Management Factors2.5.3 Regulatory Factors2.5.4 Communications Systems Considerations for Specific Applications126.96.36.199 Speed, Bandwidth, and Latency188.8.131.52 Signal Prioritization184.108.40.206 Coverage220.127.116.11 Communications Protocols2.5.5 Hard Versus Soft Integration18.104.22.168 Physical AMI/DA Integration Trends22.214.171.124 IT-Based AMI/DA Integration Trends
3. Key Industry Players3.1 Introduction3.2 Utilities3.2.1 American Electric Power3.2.2 Dominion Virginia Power3.2.3 Duke Energy Corp.3.2.4 Exelon Corp./PECO Energy Co.3.2.5 Florida Power & Light Co.3.2.6 Pacific Gas and Electric Company3.2.7 San Diego Gas & Electric Co.3.2.8 Southern California Edison Co.3.3 Systems and Equipment Vendors3.3.1 ABB/Tropos Networks, Inc.3.3.2 Alcatel-Lucent3.3.3 Ambient Corporation3.3.4 Cisco Systems, Inc.3.3.5 Dominion Voltage, Inc.3.3.6 Elster Group SE3.3.7 Itron, Inc.3.3.8 Landis+Gyr3.3.9 Proximetry Inc.3.3.10 S&C Electric Company3.3.11 Schneider Electric3.3.12 Sensus3.3.13 Sentient Energy, Inc.3.3.14 Siemens3.3.15 Silver Spring Networks3.3.16 Tantalus Systems Corp.3.3.17 Tollgrade Communications, Inc.3.3.18 Trilliant, Inc.
4. Market Forecasts4.1 Introduction4.2 Forecasting Approach4.3 Global Forecasts4.4 Conclusions and Recommendations4.4.1 What Utilities Need to Do4.4.2 What Vendors Need to Do
5. Company Directory
6. Acronym and Abbreviation List
7. Table of Contents
8. Table of Charts and Figures
9. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
List of Charts and Figures
Smart Meters for DA Applications Installed Base by Region and Percentage of Total Smart Meters, World Markets: 2012-2020- Integrated Routers for AMI and DA Applications Unit Shipments by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020- Integrated Routers for AMI and DA Applications Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020
List of Tables
Smart Meters for DA Applications Installed Base by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020- Smart Meters for DA Applications Percentage of Total Installed Smart Meters by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020- Smart Meters for DA Applications Installed Base by Communications Technology, World Markets: 2012-2020- Percentage of Smart Meters Used for DA Applications by Communications Technology, World Markets: 2012-2020- Integrated Routers for AMI and DA Applications Annual Shipments by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020- Integrated Routers for AMI and DA Applications Annual Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020- Integrated Routers for AMI and DA Applications Percentage of Total AMI Concentrator Devices by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020- Voltage Level Definitions- Distribution Automation Communications Requirements- Requirements for Specific Distribution Applications in AMI Communications Networks
To order this report:Electrical_Equipment Industry: AMI and Distribution Automation Integration
Contact Clare: email@example.com US:(339) 368 6001Intl:+1 339 368 6001
[ Back To Cloud Computing 's Homepage ]